Thursday, September 25, 2014

What's in an introduction?


   

  Hi, My name is Mattisa.  This is my daughter, Kerstin.  How much more do you just willingly give when you first meet a person or a group?  When you meet new people do you tell them your name, your medical diagnoses?  Not many of us do!  Then why do some feel the need to just volunteer information on their child with special needs?  "Hi, I'm "Sue", this is my son, "John", he has Cerebral Palsy, he can't walk, or talk, etc..."  Would you tell another person things about your "typical" or so called "normal" child, especially when it's personal and medical?

     I've sat in meetings and conferences and other gatherings when parents have introduced their children and they have pretty much told all in the matter of seconds.  I can't help but think and wonder, would the child want you to do that?  It's doubtful, especially if they are preteens or teens!  I can't help but think that the child(ren) would be like "Really, mom, you're giving all of my personal information out!"  

     What's in an introduction?  A greeting?  Your name?  Your age? Your medical history? These things are appropriate in the right settings.  Medical history, I feel should only be given when you're meeting new doctors with/for your child.  Think about your child, as the person first...would you really tell all at the first meet?  

     Yes, this blog is dedicated to Kerstin and our journey!  Yes, I've included medical things here about her and I've done so without giving too many intimate details.  Cerebral Palsy is an umbrella with many details underneath and so is Epilepsy, there are many types of seizures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment