Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Access for everyone!

     While working on a class assignment, I came across somewhat of a challenge for everyone.  I will include it later in the post.  This challenge made me think about what I have experienced in the past week.  After Kerstin's therapy appointment last week, I had to go to the Sears Repair store to pick up some things for the lawn mower.  This was my first time going to this location.  I must say it was an eye opening experience.

     The experience was so touching, I had to tweet Sears about it and I've sent an email to Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) about this and the need for better changing tables/stations in public family restrooms.  We, my daughter, my 10 year old and 4 year old nieces pull into the parking lot.  There are faint lines for accessible parking, Great.  No one was unnecessarily parked there, even better!  The store has steps/stairs to the entrance door and NO ramped access!  NOT GOOD at all!  I had to leave my daughter and nieces in the vehicle, running so that they could have air.  I had to ask the 10 year to lock all the doors until I returned.

Access for everyone!


     A few days later, I mentioned the experience to my sister.  She said something so critical yet, something I know many people do each and everyday.  When you have the ability and use of all limbs and can climb stairs without incident you don't think of those among us who cannot do the same.  

     So, I will challenge you to try this.  I think it's worth it. I even posted it to Facebook/Growing With Kerstin. 

Worth the experiment! Please take notes and share if you don't mind.

Many of us take for granted our ability to come and go as we please. With the exception of a few buildings, which are off-limits to the general public, we are free to enter any building we wish, whenever
we wish. During the next week, keep track of the buildings you enter, the streets you cross, and the activities in which you participate.

* How accessible are these to persons who are in wheelchairs, blind, or hearing impaired?
* Are the room numbers in your building labeled in Braille?
* Are the steps ramped or is there an accessible lift or an elevator?
* What areas have not been made accessible to these individuals?
* How does accessibility limit their participation in the activities in which you regularly participate?
* How could these areas be made more accessible to individuals with disabilities?





No comments:

Post a Comment