Monday, March 24, 2014

Unexpected Happenings...One Year Later!

Spring Break is here once again.  This year on the Monday of the break, we were at home.  No scheduled appointments to Children's Hospital to see a neurologist, or to have a swallow study done.  That's exactly what we were doing this day last year.  

March 25, 2013 a day/date I will not forget for a long time.  
That is the day I was told that it was no longer safe to feed my child the only way we had used for 11 years.  We could not leave the hospital.  I still cannot describe the shock, the hurt and the fear I felt that day.  That week she spent in Children's is chronicled here.  
Kerstin at Children's Hospital-Neurology--March 25, 2013


A year later, Kerstin's weight has doubled.  She has outgrown pretty much all of her clothes.  We are in a slow process of building a new wardrobe for her.


Kerstin-both taken March 28, 2013 



I will say this about our feeding tube journey;  I never thought that I would have to learn to feed my daughter via a g-tube.  I was always scared of them.  The unknown, the horror stories I had heard just had me completely afraid and unwilling to consider it until I had NO choice at all.  Now, my daughter is thriving!  As previously stated, her weight has doubled.  She is still easy to get sick with viruses and things from "germy" school, but not as often.  



Kerstin--taken March 11, 2014

I'm learning about the g-tube everyday, a year later.  I have become more comfortable with using it, just not changing it, I'll leave that to my sister for now.  As with everything, it is a learning process.  We are always growing and learning!!






More to come...


No comments:

Post a Comment