Thursday, October 10, 2013

Coming to terms? Not really!

     Well, I thought I was "coming to terms" with the idea of Kerstin's upcoming surgery...now 25 days away.  This is not exactly the case.  It seems the closer it gets the more stressed I become.  I'm feeding her and fighting back the tears because all I can think about is, "How will they have her laying while they perform the surgery on her back?"  "How out of it will she be once the surgery is over?"  "Will she be in much pain?"  So many questions, that I don't have the answers to.  I do know that her surgery will be no less than three hours, meaning it will be some time before I will be able to see her once they take her back. She will be given anesthesia, it has to kick in before they can start, she will be in surgery for a few hours, then in recovery before I can see her.  After that she will be in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) for at least the first night afterwards.

     Everything is becoming so real now that all of the doctor's offices are calling to remind us of the many pre-op appointments she has coming up.  There is a full day ahead of us this coming Monday.  The day will start with an x-ray of her spine followed by a CT of Thoracic and Lumbar spine, first ever visit to a pulmonologist, a follow up with neurology all followed by APASS (Anesthesia Pre-Admit Screening Service).  What a day it will be!

     I'm praying daily for the strength to carry on, but I feel so weak and helpless at times.  When she's moaning and I don't know what is going on or what I can do to console her and make it better.  When her arms or legs are shaking and there's nothing I can do to stop it.  No matter what I do at that very moment, nothing seems to help...there's nothing I can do but cry and pray!  It is very hard, most of the time.  No matter what's going on, how I feel...it seems like there's no break, no sick days for me!  So, I press forward.


Home away from home, in a few weeks. 



 
More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment