Wednesday, October 11, 2017

It's happening so quickly!

     "It's happening so quickly!"  That was my response after receiving a call from a radiology nurse at Children's Hospital on last Monday, October 2nd.  With a very calming tone, she wanted to speak with the parent or guardian of Kerstin.  After pleasantries were exchanged, she told me that she was in fact calling to schedule Kerstin's appointment to have her G-J tube placed.  I must admit that I was caught a bit off-guard by the quick turnaround. I was even more surprised when she stated that the procedure could be done this Friday the 6th or Wednesday or Friday of next week.  I said, "This Friday? It's happening so quickly!"  I paused, I guess she thought I had hung up or something.  I grabbed my datebook because another one of Kerstin's appointments had been rescheduled to this week, I told her that Friday would not work for us. 

     Believe it or not, the Sunday before, I had mentioned to my family that I felt like there would be a call from either the doctor or the hospital about scheduling the procedure.  So I was mentally preparing myself for this by writing down possible dates.  This did not become real until Jenna (nurse from radiology) called.  Real did not become so emotional until the call.  The tears came...it is real, again.  No matter how minor it may be said to be, it does something to the emotions because, Kerstin is my child!  My girl child!
Dates of possibility.

     So, on today, Kerstin will be having the procedure to replace her g-tube with a g-j-tube.  Kerstin is strong.  This new feeding tube will only help her even more.  Having to have the g-tube became touching but it was for her good and this g-j-tube will also be for her good.  

More to come...

2 comments: